This vacancy has expired and you can now no longer apply, to view similar current vacancies please use the link provided below.
View similar vacancies
||c£50,000 (depending on skills and experience)
||1 March 2012
||Network Rail Ltd
Salary: c£50,000 (depending on skills and experience)
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain’s railway. From the rejuvenation of King’s Cross station and the upgrade and expansion of Thameslink, to Europe’s largest civil engineering project – Crossrail - we are involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures the UK has ever seen. This will help us deliver the better railway that is vital for the economic prosperity of this country, transforming how people travel and making a massive difference to passengers and freight users right across UK.
Department & how it relates to the role:
The key purpose of the Investment Projects function is the efficient delivery of renewals and enhancements through improved specification, better utilisation of resources and the professional control and management of projects. It’s focus is to renew and enhance the rail infrastructure to deliver our commitments for the future through increased efficiency and value for money.
We are looking for a person who can communicate at Board level, with Government Departments and a wide range of key stakeholders including regional and local government bodies and private sector companies; possess a proven ability to deliver a National Programme of Projects within budget and programme, develop compelling business cases; and make convincing investment submissions to secure the required capital funding. Previous experience of the railway environment and the rail freight industry, whilst desirable, is not essential.
Although York based you will be expected to have a significant level of interface with Network Rail national functions and locally based programme delivery teams in a number of centres throughout the UK and therefore a willingness to travel is essential.
· Lead and maintain relationships with nominated customers and stakeholders, and be the focal point, to monitor whether Network Rail is fully responsive for the development of schemes. Champion the interests of the customers and stakeholders within Network Rail.
· Develop proposals from customers and stakeholders for enhancements, to establish the nature and scope of their schemes in line with the business planning criteria, including consideration of their viability within the route planning process, timetable, implications, operational arrangements and railway Estates interfaces.
· Lead negotiations with customers for the commercial and contractual terms on which schemes will be implemented, or the terms on which Network Rail will provide asset protection if the customer implements.
· Sponsor the delivery or facilitation (through asset protection arrangements) by Infrastructure Investment of externally funded schemes to track, monitoring whether customer and stakeholder requirements are fully met on scope, price, quality and programme of works.
· Comply with the requirements of corporate investment regulations, other corporate governance, and the Guide to Railway Investment Projects.
· Monitor progress on customer schemes against agreed budgets, delivery plans and work programmes, challenge and intervene as required with Infrastructure Investment to achieve correction of adverse trends.
· Undertake post implementation reviews to close schemes, check the customer is fully billed and pays for the works, whether the works deliver the intended outputs and new works are fully incorporated into maintenance and renewal plans.
· Contribute to the development of the Route’s strategy for enhancements through the Route Utilisation Strategy process and other business planning processes.
· Work with customers and stakeholders to identify new opportunities for them to investment in the network.
· Qualified to degree level or equivalent experience
· Commercially astute, persuasive, and customer focused
· Negotiating skills
· Knowledge / understanding of the railway industry
· Experience of dealing with industrial client portfolios and negotiating contracts to finalisation and able to demonstrate commercial success
· Some experience in management roles in an industrial commercial environment
· MBA or other related postgraduate qualification
What can we offer you….?
At Network Rail, you have the chance to develop a long, rewarding career. There are many different career paths - and many opportunities to fulfil your potential. After all, we believe that investing in our people via training and development is one of the most effective ways of improving the safety, reliability and efficiency of the railway. You can expect competitive pay, a bonus scheme and a choice of contributory pension schemes. We also offer a generous annual leave package, plus up to 75% discount on season rail tickets.
Please click ‘apply now’ to apply
People who looked at this rail vacancy were also interested in...